Bikes and bike gear hired by City Cycle Hire must be returned by the hirer in the same condition that it was hired. We allow for wear and tear, including wear on brakes, tires, and small running issues but does not include broken spokes, rims, bent rims, damaged frames, handlebars, seats or other parts of the bike.
Bikes and gear returned that require new equipment and/or significant repair are at the cost of the hirer. Bikes/ gear that are stolen are the responsibility and cost of the hirer. Bikes/ gear that are not able to be repaired are at the cost of the hirer.
Credit card details and a $500 deposit cash or Credit card is taken at the time of hire as security for return of the bike/ gear.
Any costs associated with the repair, loss, or damage to the bike/ gear at the time of the hire will be charged on the credit card. A report on the bike/ gear condition and required repair will be presented to the hirer for consideration.
The renter agrees to treat the bicycle or other equipment with reasonable care including:
- Always locking the bicycle securely (eg. Bike stand, pole or tree) if leaving unattended. We can provide bike locks if you're planning on stopping with the bikes.
- Helmets are included in the rental, and it's compulsory to wear a helmet according to New Zealand law. If you don't wear a bike helmet you can get fined.
- Customer accepts use of the equipment AS IS, in good condition, and accepts full responsibility for care of the equipment while under his/her possession. Damaged parts or components will be repaired/replaced at the shop's discretion and customer agrees to pay regular shop rates and retail prices for components replaced.
Liability and Safety: You ride at your own risk
- City Cycle Hire will not be held liable for any injury, damage or loss you incur while riding one of our bicycles.
- You agree to comply with all requirements given by the Ministry of Transport, and in particular to always wear your helmet. I am aware the City Cycle Hire rentals do not come with lights equipped, and therefore are not ideal for extensive road riding. Unless otherwise agreed.
- You agree not to ride while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs.
- Bikes are maintained on a daily basis. It is the responsibility of the customer to check the bike at the start of the hire before setting out on any ride.
- I/We understand and accept all risks involved in cycling and take full responsibility for our own safety.
- I/We agree that any compensation for reckless damage or loss of any hire equipment will be paid in full to City Cycle Hire.
- I/We understand that it is NZ law to wear a cycle helmet whilst cycling in New Zealand.
- I/We understand that City Cycle Hire do not condone or encourage excessive use of alcohol whilst cycling.
- I/We understand and will adhere to the biking code of conduct: Stick to purpose built tracks. No riding on footpaths (except on trail), beaches or through salty water / alert people when approaching from behind / comply with all traffic laws and ride with caution - keep left and signal where possible / do not attempt tricks or jumps with any bikes.
- I acknowledge and agree that by its very nature cycling has inherent risks and that I accept the increased dangers and risks associated with my participation in the activity that may lead to my injury, death or property loss and release City Cycle Hire of its liabilities to the extent permitted by law.
I have fully read and understood the terms and condition and take full responsibility for my safety and the hire equipment whilst in my possession.